The best part about Christmas is the baking, right? These decadent Christmas cookie sandwiches with holiday M&M’s is the perfect addition to any party, cookie exchange, after-dinner dessert spread, and more!
In the mood to whip up some sort of festive, Christmas baking you know everyone is going to devour? Of course, you are because while everybody loves sweets during the holidays, not everybody has the same tastes. Some people go for treats that are pure chocolate and some take the more traditional route with desserts like fruit cake.
Honestly, save yourself the hassle and bake something quick and easy that’s going to be a hit with each person at your Christmas party. These decadent and delicious Christmas cookie sandwiches with holiday M&M’s come with just the perfect amount of buttercream frosting in the middle. They’re a soft and chewy cookie that’s festive enough to be appropriate for Christmas dinner, but not too sweet that you have to worry about people only wanting half of one.
Christmas Cookie Sandwiches with Holiday M&M’s
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup holiday M&M's
- Buttercream frosting (see recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 325'F
- Whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda in a medium-sized mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until well-combined. Add in the vanilla and the eggs. Beat until light and fluffy (roughly 3 minutes).
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, until just combined. Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Fold in M&M's and chocolate chips. Chill in fridge for 20 minutes. If you're looking for fluffier cookies, chill for at least one hour.
- Using a 1 tablespoon scoop, scoop out two cookie dough balls and roll them together. Place each ball approximately 4 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- I pressed in a few extra M&M's and chocolate chips.
- Bake for 12-18 minutes until the edges of the cookies are just slightly brown. Let them cool completely on a wire rack.
- While the cookies are baking, make the delicious buttercream (recipe below).
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add in the icing sugar. If you're mixing by hand, add about 1/2 cup at a time. If you're using a stand mixer, add in 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Mix in the vanilla extract and the milk. Beat until well-combined and fluffy - about 3-4 minutes.