Literally, the only thing I care about in the food that I eat (besides it being vegan and gluten-free) is whether or not it tastes good. Thanks to my parents, who raised me to have a wide appreciation for food and an appreciate palette for unique and interesting flavours, I have no problem trying new things on my own, especially when I’m cooking at home.
So imagine my delight when, just the other day, I really wanted pizza and had everything I’d need except for tomato sauce. But then I thought, no, wait, here’ s a chance to be creative. What I did have was hummus so, of course, I was like, “Well, this is happening.” And so it did.
This Vegan and Gluten-Free Hummus and Roasted Veggie Pizza is not only the most flavourful pizza I’ve had in a very long time, but it’s also so incredibly simple to prepare and, if you’re quick with chopping, shouldn’t take longer than 35 minutes.
- - 1 gluten-free + vegan pizza crust of your choice
- - 1/2 cup hummus
- - 1/3 medium red onion
- - 1/3 medium yellow onion
- - 1 carrot
- - 1/2 large sweet potato
- - 1/3-1/2 cup vegan shredded cheese
- - Handful of chopped spinach or kale
- - Balsamic vinegar
- - Vegetable or olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400'F
- Heat some oil in a skillet over medium heat and sautee the onions until translucent. Remove and add the carrots and sweet potatoes (both sliced into small, thin discs). Cook until soft and browning.
- Place the crust on a baking sheet or pizza pan and spread the hummus. Add the prepared vegetables. Sprinkle on chopped spinach or kale. Add vegan cheese.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar and 2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil. Using a spoon, drizzle over the pizza.
- Bake in the oven for approx. 10 minutes or until crust begins to golden and cheese is melted.
- Optional: I like to sprinkle on a bit more vegan cheese when the pizza first comes out of the oven.
- You can easily substitute any of the veggies I mentioned here for ones you prefer, including zucchini, sweet peppers, hot peppers, etc.