If you didn’t already know, about a month ago I made the transition to eating almost entirely plant-based (a change I’ll talk about at greater length another time). Why did I choose to do this? Well, there were a bunch of reasons. I’d read a great deal about the health advantages of eating a diet that consisted of absolutely no animal products which, I have to admit, was incredibly compelling. I’d done even more reading on the mistreatment of animals and decided to ultimately base a part of my decision on ethical concerns.
It’s all much larger story for a later time. For now, I want to focus on what it’s been like having to make the adjustment to my diet. For the most part, it’s been completely fine, and I’m happy to report that there are plenty of amazing products out there that make amazing substitutes for the meat and dairy products I’ve come to rely on (yours truly ate tofu for the first time ever a few weeks ago and didn’t hate it). Thankfully, so many foods I already enjoy are plant-based themselves, which has made cooking and baking not quite as difficult as I’d thought.
I came across this recipe for vegan and gluten-free oat and banana pancakes, made with rice flour and garnished with coconut and Enjoy Life semi-sweet chocolate chips, awhile back. For the life of me, I cannot find its source. I was able to memorize the steps and ingredients. If I do find the link, I’ll be sure to include it. The recipe itself is incredibly simple and quick to make. If you’re looking for a satisfying breakfast treat or a fun lunch or dinner alternative, these pancakes are packed with flavour and have a ton of natural sweetness from the banana.
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp flax seed
- 3 tbsp unsweetened and shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp Enjoy Life semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Combine all ingredients (except for coconut and chocolate chips) in a medium-sized bowl.
- Drop batter by 1/3 cups into greased frying pan and cook until air bubbles begin to form in the batter and the edges turn golden brown. Flip over and cook until done.
- Garnish pancakes with maple syrup, shredded coconut, and chocolate chips.